This Wednesday September 10 is “Internet Slowdown” day. It’s a day of global protest to draw attention to the fact that the USA’s Federal Communication Commission is considering internet rules that would provide “fast lanes” for those who can pay (i.e. big commercial entities) and cow paths for the rest of us. Just FYI:
- The head of the FCC proposed this rule change. He is a former lobbyist for the cellular and cable industry (the same folks who will be charging more money for the fast lanes).
- Over 800,000 comments have been filed with the FCC, and 99% of those comments oppose this rule change.
- Get up to speed (no pun intended) here, then
- Share your opinion –
- Learn about the WordPress widget for the Internet Defense League here.
- My internet speed is worse than a cow path. You can test your internet speed here, and see how you compare to the rest of the world here.